Monday 23rd March 2020
Dear Parents and Carers
I hope this ‘new normal’ has started well and that everyone has managed to keep calm with each other. We are all going to need to get used to being cooped up with our families for quite some time.
It is very important that wherever possible you all manage to get some exercise, for both your physical and mental wellbeing. I appreciate that going outside is becoming increasingly difficult, so I have attached a link for Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) who is running exercise sessions for you all at 09-00am every morning. Please click the link to sign up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
A Massive ‘Thank You’
I was in school today with a number of other staff. Understandably we would rather be at home with our families at this time, but we are required to provide emergency provision for students who are vulnerable or the children of key workers. As I have previously stated, this really must be seen as an option of absolute last resort, in order to stop the spread of the virus and protect the wellbeing of students and staff. Students are far safer staying at home.
I would like to thank you for the most sensible way you have approached this, which has minimised the worry for staff and students.
If you do need to access this facility, if you have absolutely no other options, then please be prepared for the following conditions:
- School will be open for students from 0900-1400 ONLY.
- If your shift finishes before 1400 then we will expect the student to go home. As previously stated, wherever possible students should remain at home anyway. It is expected that in the vast majority of cases our students can stay at home alone, with a sibling or with a partner.
- No food is available at school. Students will have to bring food and drink with them.
- Strict Social Distancing procedures will be enforced. For example, students will be seated at least 2 metres apart, staff will not be allowed within 2 metres of students and so on.
- I must stress that this is a CHILD CARE system. We will not be teaching. Students will be working on computers doing the same work all other students are doing at home.
You will appreciate that more staff are self–isolating each day, and so we need to know which students will be in school at least 24 hours before.
This is an incredibly difficult time for all of us, and I thank you for your support and cooperation in ensuring this provision is only used as a last resort.
Year 11 and 13 lunch credit
Year 11 and 13 students may have credit on the lunch system. If this is the case, we will be reimbursing you, but please give us some time to organise this.
Finally, please stay indoors. We all need to play our part in stopping the spread of this virus.
The best way to do this is to stay away from each other.